How do you detangle a monolithic system and migrate it to a microservice architecture? How do you do it while maintaining business-as-usual? As a companion to Sam Newman’s extremely popular Building Microservices, this new book details a proven method for transitioning an existing monolithic system to a microservice architecture.
With many illustrative examples, insightful migration patterns, and a bevy of practical advice to transition your monolith enterprise into a microservice operation, this practical guide covers multiple scenarios and strategies for a successful migration, from initial planning all the way through application and database decomposition. You’ll learn several tried and tested patterns and techniques that you can use as you migrate your existing architecture.
- Ideal for organizations looking to transition to microservices, rather than rebuild
- Helps companies determine whether to migrate, when to migrate, and where to begin
- Addresses communication, integration, and the migration of legacy systems
- Discusses multiple migration patterns and where they apply
- Provides database migration examples, along with synchronization strategies
- Explores application decomposition, including several architectural refactoring patterns
- Delves into details of database decomposition, including the impact of breaking referential and transactional integrity, new failure modes, and more