Since Test-Driven Infrastructure with Cheffirst appeared in mid-2011, infrastructure testing has begun to flourish in theweb ops world. In this revised and expanded edition, author StephenNelson-Smith brings you up to date on this rapidly evolving discipline, includingthe philosophy driving it and a growing array of tools. You’ll get a hands-onintroduction to the Chef framework, and a recommended toolchain and workflowfor developing your own test-driven production infrastructure.
Several exercises and examples throughout the book help you gain experiencewith Chef and the entire infrastructure-testing ecosystem. Learn how thistest-first approach provides increased security, code quality, and peace ofmind.
- Explore the underpinning philosophy that infrastructure can and should be treated as code
- Become familiar with the MASCOT approach to test-driven infrastructure
- Understand the basics of test-driven and behavior-driven development for managing change
- Dive into Chef fundamentals by building an infrastructure with real examples
- Discover how Chef works with tools such as Virtualbox and Vagrant
- Get a deeper understanding of Chef by learning Ruby language basics
- Learn the tools and workflow necessary to conduct unit, integration, and acceptance tests