Make the jump from a developer or IT admin to an effective, inspiring tech leader
As you move up through the tech ranks, the transition to leadership is notoriously challenging. Many chief information officers (CIO) or chief technology officers (CTO) are short-lived in that role, as they discover that being a programmer or tech administrator is vastly different from being an IT leader. The Accidental CIO will show you how to become an effective, strategic leader―whether you already inhabit that leadership role or are eyeing the C-suite for your professional future.
In this book, you’ll find a wealth of practical advice for tackling the challenges new technical leaders face, from producing a strategy to creating and leading a department to execute it. Learn how to communicate what you already understand―the power of modern technology to transform business. This is your guide to contributing to business strategy and success, as well as inspiring others to bring your vision to life
- Understand why the the principles and values of lean, agile and design thinking are vital for managing in today’s complex business environment
- Learn how to take a holistic approach to analysis by utilising systems thinking to make impactful changes
- Capture your businesses anatomy and create and communicate an IT strategy that clearly contributes to business success
- Design an IT operating model that is focused on generating value by ensuring that all components are adaptable and designed around delivering business outcomes
- Deploy your strategy and execute on the IT vision to bridge the business canapés required to win
From understanding the core principles of modern management and leadership, to presenting a strategic vision to the board, to building a team and implementing your plan, this book supports your new C-level role with practical advice and frameworks for the challenges that lay ahead.