A major challenges with any information governance program is explaining the value to the business. Most programs deal with certain themes common across every enterprise: poor data quality, inconsistent business terms, fragmented view of customer and product, security, and privacy. But these themes manifest themselves differently across different industries and job functions.
- Author Sunil Soares has spoken with hundreds of clients across multiple industries and geographies about their information governance programs. The question quickly posed is: "I get the value of information governance. However, it is very hard for me to convince the business about the value of an information governance program. What best practices do you have to help me do this?" This book answers that very question, providing cross-industry best practices plus best practices and case studies for a variety of industries and job functions.
- Other books discuss the importance of selling to the business; this book actually dives into the details and mechanics of doing so. In it, you will find best practices supported by dozens of real-life case studies to implement an information governance program across a variety of industries, including banking, financial markets, insurance, healthcare, manufacturing, retail, government, telecom, utilities, and more. The book also demonstrates how to best obtain sponsorship from marketing, finance, legal, HR, risk management, and other areas of the business. You will also learn the nitty-gritty of obtaining executive sponsorship, building an information governance organization, establishing a charter, conducting a maturity assessment, appointing data stewards, building business glossaries, and creating business cases.Any practitioner who is implementing or desires to implement an information governance program will find this book indispensable.In Selling Information Governance to the Business, you will learn how to:
- Articulate the business problem for information governance for your industry and job function
- Identify the key stakeholders for information governance within your enterprise
- Write an information governance charter
- Identify data stewards
- Establish an information governance organization
- Develop a business case for information governance