Terraform has emerged as a key player in the DevOps world for defining, launching, and managing infrastructure as code (IAC) across a variety of cloud and virtualization platforms, including AWS, Google Cloud, and Azure. This hands-on book is the fastest way to get up and running with Terraform.
Gruntwork co-founder Yevgeniy (Jim) Brikman walks you through dozens of code examples that demonstrate how to use Terraform’s simple, declarative programming language to deploy and manage infrastructure with just a few commands. Whether you’re a novice developer, aspiring DevOps engineer, or veteran sysadmin, this book will take you from Terraform basics to running a full tech stack capable of supporting a massive amount of traffic and a large team of developers.
- Compare Terraform to other IAC tools, such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, and Salt Stack
- Use Terraform to deploy server clusters, load balancers, and databases
- Learn how Terraform manages the state of your infrastructure and how it impacts file layout, isolation, and locking
- Create reusable infrastructure with Terraform modules
- Try out advanced Terraform syntax to implement loops, if-statements, and zero-downtime deployment
- Use Terraform as a team, including best practices for writing, testing, and versioning Terraform code
Table of Content
Chapter 1Why Terraform
The Rise of DevOps
What Is Infrastructure as Code?
Benefits of Infrastructure as Code
How Terraform Works
How Terraform Compares to OtherInfrastructure as Code Tools
Chapter 2Getting Started with Terraform
Set Up Your AWS Account
Deploy a Single Server
Deploy a Single Web Server
Deploy a Configurable Web Server
Deploy a Cluster of Web Servers
Deploy a Load Balancer
Chapter 3How to Manage Terraform State
What Is Terraform State?
Shared Storage for State Files
Locking State Files
Isolating State Files
Chapter 4How to Create ReusableInfrastructure with Terraform Modules
Chapter 5Terraform Tips and Tricks: Loops,If-Statements, Deployment, and Gotchas
Chapter 6How to Use Terraform as a Team
Appendix Recommended Reading
No posts found