Organizational Theory, Design, and Change continues to provide students with up-to-date and contemporary treatment of the way managers attempt to increase organizational effectiveness.
By making organizational change the centerpiece in a discussion of organizational theory and design, this text stands apart from other books in the market.The seventh edition has been updated to reflect the most recent trends in real-world managing techniques. Examples have been updated to provide vivid illustrations of such techniques in action.
1. Over 65% of the in-chapter boxes and 90% of the closing cases are new and the rest have been updated.
2. New material on the changing nature of problems involved in managing functional, product, and divisional structures and ways IT can be used to improve their performance.
3. New material on the strategy–structure relationship, and new coverage about the reasons companies need to continuously examine and change their global strategies and structures.
4. New material on online software development and craftswork technology and its importance in the growing services area.
5. Expanded discussion of how to manage technology to create successful virtual organizational structures, such as those used by Accenture and PeopleSoft.
6. A major focus is the recent ongoing changes in the mobile computing, smartphone, and software applications and the consequent effects on the changes in the competitive environment and the way companies have been changing their structures and control systems to manage these issues.
7. Increased coverage of ethical issues involved in the stakeholder approach to organizations and their implications for organizational effectiveness, such as new “green” environmental coverage, and new coverage of disasters such as the BP oil spill, ethics in health care, and fraud in disguising the quality and price of goods and services.
8. Explanations of the most recent developments in organizational structure, such as the product team structure, outsourcing, and network organizations because of advancements in IT.
Part 1 The Organization and Its Environment
Chapter 1 Organizations and Organizational Effectiveness
Chapter 2 Stakeholders, Managers, and Ethics
Chapter 3 Organizing in a Changing Global Environment
Part 2 Organizational Design
Chapter 4 Basic Challenges of Organizational Design
Chapter 5 Designing Organizational Structure: Authority and Control
Chapter 6 Designing Organizational Structure: Specialization and Coordination
Chapter 7 Creating and Managing Organizational Culture
Chapter 8 Organizational Design and Strategy in a Changing Global Environment
Chapter 9 Organizational Design, Competences, and Technology
Part 3 Organizational Change
Chapter 10 Types and Forms of Organizational Change
Chapter 11 Organizational Transformations: Birth, Growth, Decline, and Death
Chapter 12 Decision Making, Learning, Knowledge Management,and Information Technology
Chapter 13 Innovation, Intrapreneurship, and Creativity
Chapter 14 Managing Conflict, Power, and Politics
No posts found